Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Here Goes Nothing

T-minus 8 hours till my trans-oceanic adventure begins, and I may or may not be freaking out just a smidge.  It's not like I haven't traveled internationally before, or even by myself.  I've just never gone so far west that I ended up in the east.


The countries I've been to have always spoken a language with which I had at least some familiarity.  That was an unpleasant realization this afternoon: I know absolutely NO Vietnamese.  Nothing.  Not a single word.  I don't even know how to say "No."  Guess I know what I'll be doing during my twelve hour layover in Taiwan, in addition to making sure my bags don't get nabbed and trying not to fall asleep for fear of waking up in a dungeon somewhere in the seedy underbelly of Taipei...not that I'm super concerned about that or anything.


Honestly, I think that layover will be okay.  The worst layover I've ever had, yes, but nothing I can't handle.  I just pray that the flights themselves will be okay.  I managed to snag window seats for the national flights, but the international ones will be surprises.  I figure as long as I don't end up in the middle of the middle aisle (the bitch seat to end all bitch seats) on the fifteen hour flight from LAX to Taipei and the Benadryl I'll be self-administering as a poor-man's sleeping aid kicks in, it can't be too terribly dreadful.  As always, I'm optimistic. :)

1 comment:

  1. haha Mary, you're awesome. "freaking out just a smidge."
    I know all will go well with your layover and flight. Even though you know no Vietnamese I am sure you will catch on well and even if you don't that will be a story in itself. :)
    I hope you enjoy yourself. you will be missed. Can't wait to hear all about it. Be safe!! love ya!

    ReplyDelete