Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

From Russia With Love [Updated 2/13/11]

I did some serious shopping today.  Like Olympic gold-winning shopping.  And only about half the stuff is mine.  The rest is from my generous heart for many of my near and dear.  (You may know who you are.)  Most of this took place at Phnom Penh's Russian Market, where Russians used to shop for necessary and superfluous items.  Not so many Russians anymore, but plenty of stalls selling fabric, "Rolexes," cheap *cough pirated cough* DVDS, Buddhist statues, wooden bowls, opium pipes...everything a girl could possibly need.

Silk in more than every color of the rainbow.

Opium jars to go with...

Opium pipes! Who wants in on a little Coleridge action? Does anyone get that reference?

Creepy puppets!

Scorpion juice! I didn't even want to know what it's for.

So I loaded up on cool Cambodian t-shirts, American DVDs, and silk...you know, to help stimulate the economy. 

And afterwards, Kyle and I paid a visit to the Royal Palace.  All I can tell you about it is that it's really a palace (and therefore royal) and friggin' amazing architecturally and horticulturally.  There were several temples, including a Silver Temple with silver tile floors and case upon case of silver Buddha and naga (a mythical snake, usually depicted as a cobra, with many heads that gave shelter to Buddha during his forty days of meditation) statuettes, and a gorgeous tiered display capped off with a jade Buddha.  The grounds were covered with lush plants, tended but with a wild, organic feel, in such vibrant colors.  I took way too many pictures, so here's just a little sampling to whet your appetite.  Also, Kyle was getting a smidge jealous that Roman's been in more posted pictures than him, so I'm including several of my uncle to mend his hurt feelings. ;)

This is just a gazebo. The temples are humongous.

Lots of monks were visiting the Palace and its temples. I even saw one take a digital camera out of his robe...Ah, to live in the twenty-first century.

Kyle with a naga.

I'm not quite sure how I got talked into taking this picture with these eerie mannequins.  At least none of them look like Kim Catrall...Does ANYONE get that reference???


Kyle in mid-sentence of explaining what this is. As an option (besides a screen) for keeping evil spirits out of your home, you use this to lure them away with flowers, food and other goodies.

With just one scene from the epic wall painting of the Ramayana stretched out along the portico of the palace grounds.

Stupa!





Kyle attempting to play a xylophone with this musical master.


In the late evening, after the blistering sun laid its head below the horizon, we walked along the riverfront and found some very interesting street food options on our way to real dinner.  But alas, the revelation of those exotic delicacies will have to wait for another time, as I have to get up in six hours to catch a boat to the Angkor region.  Angkor Wat this week, people!  Woo hoo!  [The revelation has now been made.  You may commence with the jubilation.]

Lotus seed pods.

The outer part is spongy, and you have to rip it open to get to the seed capsules. You then have to remove another, individual spongy layer, and then you get to the seed, which tastes decent.

The spotted things second from the left are quail eggs. The rest is bug.

Tarantulas on the left and, I think, snake on the right? If we hadn't been on our way to a nice dinner, and if these hadn't been sitting out in the sun on the street all day, I like to think I'd have tried something.

This is at the market in Siem Reap. The oddly-shaped things hanging at the top are filleted fish that has then been sliced into partial strips and, I think, dried.

These little stands were pretty popular in Siem Reap. They sell itty bitty shellfish, still alive and closed, covered in salt and spices.


The highlight for today was something you'd only see out here.  While on our way to the river, we passed by an elephant...walking down the street.  An elephant walking down the street!  What the hell do you say to that?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't get the first reference.
    I got the second one, only because that movie used to terrify me as a child. (I know it's not a scary movie, but a mannequin coming to life can be pretty freaky to a 5 year old.)

    What's with all the animals in juices?!

    The silk is gorgeous, as well as that awesome freakin' wall painting!

    And I think you're supposed to say, "Oh, look, it's an elephant." And then stay the eff out of its way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bugs, and snakes and juices oh my! It's so gross and does not look at all appetizing in any way for or fashion. Awesome about the elephant though. I've only ever seen them at Renfest.

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete