Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

Fit For A King

With Kyle's return from Bangkok last night, we're all starting to get into the Tet spirit.  Tet is the most exalted and important holiday in Vietnam and celebrates the lunar New Year and the coming of spring.  Everyone spends the week with their family, frequently leaving Hanoi in an exodus to the smaller surrounding villages.  Peach blossom trees and branches adorn houses and are decorated with prayers and wishes, akin to a Christmas tree.  Kumquat trees are also pouring into the city to decorate homes and businesses, as the round fruit represent fertility and the shape resembles coins of prosperity.

Kumquat tree!

Peach blossom tree!

In convivial spirits, we embarked late this Sunday morning on an unofficial culinary tour of the city, stopping first at Hang Ma Street, the avenue for seasonal decorations.  It was packed with Tet gifts and decor and food and LOTS of people.


I like the creeper around Roman's shoulder. :D

It was busy!

Did I say busy???

I meant packed!!!

This tarry, black, gooey, sweet rice concoction is about to go in my mouth.

And here it goes...

Delicious!

So delicious that Kyle just HAD to have two for himself. ;)

A confections store where we got dried and candied banana, oranges and cherries to tide us over between bigger snacks.

We then moved to a sliiighty less crowded area and found these AMAZING fried banana cakes, kind of like the corn one I'd had last week.  This was even better!  The banana was perfectly sweet and the batter tart and lemony, so we had to get two for the three of us to split.

The Spring Market Festival was happening today, and the convention center and surrounding pavilions were teeming with people sampling food and drink (Kyle and I each scored a ninth of a shot of coconut vodka--SWEET!), perusing art and Tet gifts, and trying on clothes and shoes.  We saw tent after tent of glorious orchids and beautiful jewelry.  Kyle and I got some sandwiches of the I-don't-really-want-to-know-what's-in-this-but-I-can't-stop-eating-it variety next to a booth selling "kegs" of rice wine and giant clear glass jars of the same alcohol with animals floating in them, supposedly in order to imbue the drinker with the characteristics of that species...it's pretty much the only thing we said no to today.



Wine "kegs" with bamboo straws instead of taps.

Lizards on the left and God-knows-what on the right, but it's suppose to help with your...vigor in the bedroom.

Cobra Juice!!!

Gift baskets for Tet.

After our long day of walking and eating and looking and eating and shopping and eating, we were all ready for a nice, hearty dinner.  The guys decided it was high time for me try Cha Ca, a dish with rice noodles, sauce, and veggies and fish cooked in a pan over an open flame brought to each table.  It was fabulous and I positively inhaled the final fare offered in this foodie feast.

For today's highlight, I finally bought something that was neither transportation nor food.  In the Myanmar tent at the festival, JADE in all shapes, sizes and forms was to be found, and I simply couldn't walk out without jade beads encircling my throat.  I put my bargaining skills to the test and left wearing my hard-won beauty.  I'm so head over heels for it, I'll be hard-pressed to take it off even for a shower.

The guys made me do this Titanic-esque pose.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have nightmares about Cobra Juice and "Vigor in the Bedroom".

    Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cobra juice?! That's just wrong. Jade necklace... That's gorgeous, as is your pose ;)

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete