Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Eleventh Hour

My time here is dwindling away.  By the time I leave Sunday morning, I'll have accomplished everything I really wanted to do with a few things left on my list that won't be terribly missed.  But I'm still trying to squeeze in some things last minute, so Thursday was something of a mish-mash in my last ditch effort to take in all there is to see and do in Hanoi.


First up is Quan Thanh Temple, just down the street from our apartment, dedicated to Tran Vu, the Guardian of the North and the Dark Heaven in Taoism.  According to legend, he aided the Vietnamese in their third century struggle against the Chinese and is the "patron saint," or genie, of Vietnam during adversity.  It's a really nice temple, but I don't think it receives very many foreign visitors, which is a real shame considering the unique nature of its main deity and the temple decoration.

Back of entrance gate. On top of each outermost pillar is a ky lan, a symbolic animal representing intelligence and goodness and is a messenger for peace.

One of a pair of elephants honoring those that helped fight off invaders.

Stele naming those who donated to the reconstruction of the temple in 1893.



This altar houses a statue of the master foreman of the temple.

Beautiful lacquer door painting.

Statue of the Black Genie. He holds a sword wrapped with a snake resting on a turtle, symbolizing protection of the country and death to all adversaries. Women rub his right foot in order to absorb the genie's strength. Yes, I rubbed it--sorry, Amy, but at least it's a fake foot.


I then set out for the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, passing by the Presidential Palace.  I didn't go inside the mausoleum, as the guards wouldn't even let me walk on the sidewalk in front of it and were making me nervous, and I didn't stop to take the picture of the palace, because I was afraid they'd tackle me and confiscate my camera thinking me an American spy.  I therefore took it from my hip while barely slowly down.  In the same area is the One Pillar Pagoda, which is...a pagoda built on one pillar.  Not much else to say about it.

Sorry for the wonky angle of the Presidential Palace, but I rather favor not being incarcerated for suspected espionage.

Hanoi...

Mausoleum (with Uncle Ho inside)...

Thang Long (The Citadel)...

One Pillar Pagoda.


After taking tea at Joma, writing up some postcards (which will now probably arrive in the States after I will), and sipping a Long Island Ice Tea in the shadow of St. Joseph's Cathedral, I stopped in at yet another pagoda I'd never noticed tucked away on Church Street.  It seems that few foreigners stop in at Ba Da Pagoda, as well, and I think my timing was rather unfortunate as a monk appeared to be holding a service, so I ducked my head and made a swift retreat.

Smaller pagoda entrance than usual.

Big Buddhas.

Stupa!


Today's highlight was my xe om ride back to the apartment.  I'm trying to fit in as many rides as I can before Sunday, since once I'm back in the States it's back to four-wheeled vehicles.  I'm really going to miss driving down the street and feeling the wind caress my cheeks and danger lurk around every corner.  It just won't be the same surrounded by steel and glass on all sides.

Oh, how I'll miss careening around corners.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, sister! I can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops that was supposed to be from my account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good. Lauren calling me sister would freak me out. :/

    ReplyDelete